When I take my morning walk/runs I love to listen to podcasts. My favorite is Brooke, she is my friend. Well not really but she is in my head so much I do feel like we are friends.
One of her podcasts that I have thought a lot about is "Life is 50/50." The mortal experience is 50 good and 50 hard. Have you ever looked at someone and wondered if they even have trials? Brooke's answer to that would be, "Of course they do!" Every one's life is 50/50. The idea is when we know life is 50/50 and accept that idea, when the 50 hard parts come we are more willing to accept them and move through them.
I've thought a lot about that over the last few months.
I've found that exercising the gift of gratitude can make the 50/50 feel much more like 90/10.
I've never experienced the 50/50 more than the month of December.
So much joy with the birth of our new grandson and then Dad declining fast all at the same time.
Heaven felt close from both sides.
I especially felt the 50/50 at Dad's funeral.
I LOVED EVERY PART OF HONORING MY DAD!
Honoring him with my siblings and Mom was so beautiful.
Each one of his kids spoke, and I soaked in every word my siblings said
and didn't want each talk to end.
Each one of his kids spoke, and I soaked in every word my siblings said
and didn't want each talk to end.
But as wonderful as it was,
there was his casket sitting in front of all of us
as a reminder that he was no longer here physically with us.
The short viewing before the funeral.
Not sure you can tell from this picture but Papa Tom is wearing the tie that Mickayla brought home for him from her mission.
Mom asked us all to add something to the casket for Papa Tom.
My family added a puzzle.
My family added a puzzle.
My Dad loves puzzles and did many puzzles over the 4 years he was battling cancer.
The one we gave him is one we made for him
The one we gave him is one we made for him
years ago that says,
"Has anyone told you they love you today?"
"Has anyone told you they love you today?"
All of his siblings tucked in their Mother's $2 bills.
Grandma Emmy has given all of us a $2 dollar bill, and we were told to never spend it.
It was her way of knowing her kids and grand kids would never be broke!
Later Natalie and I googled it and some of those are worth a lot of money today!
(So Dad will be ok money wise while his body is in there.)
I don't know who put in the Book of Mormons but I love that so much.
When I picture what Dad is doing in the spirit world I picture him loving and teaching those who need to be taught the gospel.
Danial said the family prayer.
We all got to say goodbye, one family at a time.
During the viewing I was told to go out in the hall by one of my siblings, I guess we were making the line go too slow.
When I got in the hall I found Julie!
A dear friend from High School.
Julie lost her Dad 3 years ago. He too was an amazing man.
Julie told me that she still feels her Dad in her life and she knew that I would too.
She was dressed in her Saturday work clothes. She got word from Nora that Dad had passed away and was dropping kids off near by and just headed right over.
I wish I would have gotten a picture.
We were all asked to proof read the program.
I thought I did!
Samuel T. Sollis and Jesse N. Wheeler, oops!
Rob was awesome and took this picture when he spoke.
You can see how loved my Dad was,
every chair was filled.

So many of Papa Tom's grand daughters play musical instruments.
Kim put together and accompanied a beautiful arrangement so they all could honor Papa Tom through their music.
All 40 grandchildren and 2 great grand sons were there.
(I say 40 because I'm positive Baby Kevin was right there singing with all of his cousins)
All but baby Thomas sang (I was holding him)
"Families Can Be Together Forever."
I don't remember which of my kids said it but one of them said,
"Whose awful idea was that?"
They had no idea how they would sing that and not cry the whole time.
They did it anyway because they love Papa Tom, and they knew he would love it!
The limo ride was really one of the highlights of the day!
Being with my siblings and my Mom was so good for my soul.
Lauren was pretty bummed that she didn’t get to ride with us.
She said, “When my Dad dies I’m going to get to ride in the Limo, my Dad is a lucky duck!”
That girl cracks me up!
No comments:
Post a Comment